Friday, December 14, 2012

End of the Semester!

I took my first legit painting course this semester. The entertaining Marjan Hormozi taught the class, and it was a lot of fun. I worked in watercolor but I would like to work in oils at some point. The class was a strange mix of getting everything in your painting correct technically and also saying something about the subject matter.

I feel like I better know what I am doing when it comes to painting, which is nice. Here are the paintings I did. They are in order from beginning to end of the semester.

This one was the first week before she gave us any instruction on how to approach painting.


 Our first session with a model. I am fairly happy with this painting actually. I didn't mix the skin tone colors as well as I'd hoped, and I didn't get any great volume into the image. I like the left hand though.

 I made her look like paper. and too much yellow.

 We went and painted Fire Valley. I had a lot of trouble with trying to think of the trees as grouped shapes and not individual trees, and I should have brought more contrast into the closer elements of the space.

 This was the first week of a two week pose, and I ended up just restarting the next week. I still don't really know how to approach painting fabric folds, especially when the disappear and are replaced with a new set of folds once the model takes a break and comes back to posing.

 Here is the second week's attempt.

 This was the first time that I tried to make changes to say something about the models. I played more with wrinkles vs crisp fabric to represent the strength of the two 'candidates' in this little mock debate. I also included the light fixture to make Richard seem like a candidate who hides behind something. I didn't really think it through.


 I didn't try especially hard on this particular week.

 And the last painting. We spent 3 classes on this pose (about 8 hours, total). Still not happy with his pants but I think the image as a whole looks kind of cool.







5 comments: